Chair Amber Gove (6A04) convened the October 13, 2022 meeting of Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 6A via Zoom with Commissioners Keya Chatterjee (6A01), Mike Soderman (6A03), Laura Gentile (6A05), Robb Dooling (6A06), Sondra Phillips-Gilbert (6A07) and Brian Alcorn (6A08) in attendance. Commissioner Phil Toomajian (6A02) was absent.
Solar Energy and Job Training for Underserved Communities
Grid Alternatives is a nonprofit organization working to bring the benefits of clean energy to underserved communities through hands-on solar workforce training through Solar Works DC, no cost solar installations to qualifying homeowners and advocacy efforts for renewable energy at all levels of government. The goal of Grids Alternative is a rapid and equitable transition to a world powered by renewable energy.
All of the following actions were passed unanimously by the Commissioners. Working with DC government agencies and Solar for All, Grid Alternatives aims to have solar installed on 100,000 qualifying homes within the next decade. Funding for this effort comes through third-party financing, private donations and government grants so there is no cost to the homeowners. Other than income limits, homeowners should consider additional factors such as whether their roof gets enough sunlight to justify solar panels, if there is adequate space on their roof for the panels, or if the roof needs repair or replacement. To learn more about having solar panels installed on your roof or to get details about workforce training visit www.gridalternatives.org/midatlantic.
The following items were approved by Commissioners with unanimous consent:
Alcohol Beverage Licensing (ABL)
- ANC 6A will send a letter of support to the Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) for the Class C Tavern license renewal of The Pursuit Wine Bar and Kitchen at 1025 H Street NE (ABRA-113810).]
- ANC 6A will send a letter of support to ABRA for the Class C Tavern license renewal of Vibez on H at 1378 H Street NE (ABRA-117753).
- ANC 6A will send a letter of opposition to ABRA regarding the Class C Tavern license renewal of Bar Bullfrog/Bullfrog Bagels at 1341 H Street NE (ABRA- 112890) unless a settlement agreement is entered into prior to the protest date, and that the Chair and Vice-Chair of the ANC, the Co-Chairs of the ABL Committee, and ABL Committee member Krisch, represent the ANC in this matter.
- ANC 6A will send a letter of opposition to ABRA regarding the Class C Tavern license renewal of The Queen Vic at 1206 H Street NE (ABRA-083930) unless an updated settlement agreement is entered into prior to the protest date, and that the Chair and Vice-Chair of the ANC and the Co-Chairs of the ABL Committee represent the ANC in this matter.
- ANC 6A will send a letter of support to ABRA for the Class C Tavern license renewal of Mythology, Lore, & Dirty Water/Beetle House DC at 816 H Street NE (ABRA-095033).
- ANC 6A will take no action with respect to the substantial change request of Ocean Lounge at 1220 H Street NE (ABRA-114106) to add a Summer Garden to their existing license.
Transportation and Public Space (TPS)
- ANC 6A will send a letter to the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) requesting that School Parking Zone permits cover a radius that does not extend to neighboring ANCs should any permit be issued to Capitol Hill Montessori or other schools that are more than a few blocks away from the adjacent ANC.
- ANC 6A will send a letter of support for DDOT’s request to consolidate the B2 bus stops on 14th Street NE from three to two stops, with a preference for retaining the stops at 14th and D Streets NE and 14th Street and North Carolina Avenue NE in their current locations. The request was made as part of the traffic calming proposal for the 1100-1500 blocks of C Street NE, which includes moving bus stops to prevent drivers from using the bus bays to jump the red light.
Economic Development and Zoning (EDZ)
- ANC6A will send a letter of support to the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) for Special Exception zoning relief pursuant from the rear addition requirements to construct a third story addition, and a two-story with cellar rear addition, and convert to a flat, an existing, semi-detached, two-story with cellar, principal dwelling unit at 726 11th Street NE (BZA 20814) in the RF-1 zone on condition that the owner make best efforts to get a letter of support from the neighbor at 724 11th Street.
- ANC6A will send a letter of support to the Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB) for historic relief to construct a third-floor partial addition and roof deck at 813 Massachusetts Avenue NE (HPA 22-439) on condition that the owner make best efforts to get letters of support from 807 and 811 A Street and 811 and 815 Massachusetts Avenue, and the owner do a site line survey from A Street, similar to the one done from Massachusetts Avenue.
Alcohol and Beverage Licensing Committee (ABL)
- ANC 6A appointed current ABL member Erin Sullivan as Co-Chair of the Alcohol Beverage Licensing Committee.
Additional items considered by the Commissioners:
Transportation and Public Space
- ANC6A will send a letter to DDOT in support of an Open Streets event on 8th Street from Florida Avenue NE to M Street SE. The vote was 6 in favor with Commissioner Soderman abstaining.
- ANC6A send a letter to DDOT expressing concern about need to provide ANCs with adequate opportunity to review and provide comment on school applications for street parking permits under the School Parking Zone program for SWS at Goding and other future applications and that ANC 6A send a letter to DDOT requesting that signage for south side of G Street NE (adjacent to Sherwood Recreation Center), which is currently not RPP parking, but adjusted to permit holders of the School Parking Zone permits for School-Within-School to park there. The vote was 6 in favor with Commissioner Dooling in opposition.
Visit www.anc6a.org for a calendar of meeting times, meeting agendas and other information