On October 12th, crowds at The Wharf will celebrate two milestones: the five-year anniversary of The Wharf’s grand opening and the completion of the waterfront neighborhood. You can join in the party.
On October 12 from 5 p.m.to 8 pm, enjoy live music and pop-up entertainment along Wharf Street, specials at Wharf restaurants and retailers, and a spectacular fireworks finale over the Washington Channel.
The first phase was officially opened on Oct. 12, 2017 with more than two million square feet of residences, offices, hotels, shops and restaurants as well as public areas including waterfront parks, promenades, piers, and docks. Phase 2 delivers the neighborhood’s remaining 1.25 million square feet of mixed-use development, including new office, residential, hotel, marina, and retail space, as well as parks and public places, across a half mile of redeveloped waterfront.
At full build-out, the $3.6 billion, world-class, mixed-use neighborhood will feature more than 3.2 million square feet of development along a mile of Washington, DC’s waterfront from the Municipal Fish Market to Fort McNair The second phase of the development consists of 1.25 million square feet, including office, residential, retail and recreational space. That brings the total square footage of The Wharf up to 3.25 million square feet (that’s about three times the size of Ellis Island).
Partnership Hoffman-Madison Waterfront (HMW) developed the mile-long neighborhood along the waterfront in a joint venture between Hoffman & Associates and Madison Marquette, in partnership with ER Bacon Development, City Partners, Paramount Development, and Triden Development.
The Wharf is a public-private partnership and the largest planned unit development (PUD) in the history of Washington, DC. The principal public partner is the District of Columbia’s Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED).
The Oct. 12 event kicks off The Wharf’s “Season of Celebration,” featuring nine months of community events and experiences commemorating the completion of The Wharf.
Event Schedule Oct. 12:
- 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.— Activities throughout The Wharf (Live music along Wharf Street, sidewalk sales in District Square, specials at Wharf restaurants)
- 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.— Live music by Jarreau Williams on the Transit Pier floating stage
- 6:45 p.m. to 7:55 p.m.— Live music by The JoGo Project on the Transit Pier floating stage
- 7:55 p.m.— Fireworks Finale
Highlights of The Wharf’s Season of Celebration over the next year inlude:
- Sunday, October 23 Dia de Los Muertos at The Wharf
- Friday, November 25 Wharf Ice Rink Opening Party
- Saturday, December 3 District Holiday Boat Parade—30th Anniversary
- Saturday, January 21, 2023 Camp Wharf—Winter Warm-Up
- Saturday, February 18 Mardi Gras at The Wharf
- Saturday, March 18 Ireland at The Wharf
- Saturday, April 1 Bloomaroo at The Wharf
- Saturday, May 6 Running of the Chihuahuas Family Fun Day
- Saturday, June 10 Pride on The Pier
More information about The Wharf is available at wharfdc.com.