As the District prepares for A Capitol Fourth, several parades and a fireworks display in celebration of the Fourth of July this weekend, road closures and changes to the WMATA Metro schedule will be in effect. Here’s a breakdown.
Ohio Drive SW between 23rd Street SW and West Basin Drive SW will be closed beginning July 3 at midnight through 12 a.m. Tuesday, July 5.
The following streets will be closed beginning at 6 a.m. on July 4 through 12 a.m. Tuesday July 5:
- Arlington Memorial Bridge and Arlington Memorial Circle, to and including Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Rock Creek Parkway south of Virginia Avenue NW to Lincoln Memorial Circle, including all approaches and ramps
- Parkway Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Henry Bacon Drive NW from Constitution Avenue to Lincoln Memorial Circle, NW
- Daniel Chest French Drive SW from Independence Ave SW to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Lincoln Memorial Circle and all approaches and ramps into and out of Lincoln Memorial Circle, including Henry Bacon Drive NW, Daniel Chester French Drive SW, 23rd Street NW and 23rd Street SW
- Ramp from Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Bridge to Constitution Avenue NW and Independence Avenue SW and Ohio Drive SW; all inbound traffic from the bridge will be directed to the E Street Expressway
- Constitution Avenue NW from 23rd Street NW to 15th St NW
- 23rd St SW from Independence Ave SW to Lincoln Memorial Cir and Constitution Ave to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- 17th St NW from Constitution Ave NW to Independence Ave SW
- Homefront Drive SW
- 15th Street NW from Constitution Ave NW to Independence Ave SW
- Raoul Wallenberg Place SW to Maine Avenue SW
- Independence Avenue SW from 14th Street SW to 23rd Street SW, including merge with Rock Creek Parkway
- Ohio Dr SW from 23rd St SW to Inlet Bridge
- Madison Drive NW from 15th Street NW to 3rd Street NW
- Jefferson Drive SW from 15th Street SW to 3rd Street SW
- East Basin Drive SW east of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial to Ohio Drive SW
- West Basin Drive SW from Ohio Drive SW to Independence Avenue, SW
- Ramp from southbound and northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP) to Memorial Avenue /Circle
- Ramp from northbound Va. Route 110 to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- Ramp from Va. Route 27 to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- The right lane of northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway from the 14th Street Bridge to Theodore Roosevelt Island
- Access to East Potomac Park from I-395 will be by National Park Service permit only after 4 p.m.
The following streets will be closed from 3 p.m. July 4 to 12 a.m. July 5:
- Eastbound U.S. Route 50 ramps to the George Washington Memorial Parkway and roads in the immediate area of U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial;
- Southbound GWMP ramp to 14th Street Bridge (8 p.m. – 9:45 p.m. as necessary)
- Northbound GWMP ramp to 14th Street Bridge (8 p.m. – 9:45 p.m. as necessary)
City officials are encouraging residents and visitors to utilize public transportation as many road closures will be implemented and parking will be limited. Officials have also advised that due to railcar availability and large crowds there will be delays of up to 60 minuets for trains.
On Monday the Metro Bus will operate on a Sunday schedule and riders should expect significant delays due to the road closures impacting much of the region. Bicycles and large coolers will not be allowed on trains beginning at 2 p.m. Monday.
You can plan a trip on metro, purchase SmarTrip and learn more about the closures this weekend here.
Sarah Payne is a general assignment reporter for Capital Community News. She can be reached at [email protected]