Snow is again messing with the District, delaying opening of government offices and closing schools, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced late Thursday night.
The decision to close schools and delay opening of District offices comes as the Capital Weather Gang says accumulation will begin around midnight and end sometime before sunrise, making travel difficult. Around 2 inches of snow are expected to fall on the District.
Due to weather conditions, all DCPS schools will be closed on Friday Jan. 7. This includes students previously scheduled to learn virtually. Meal service is also suspended.
Snowfall on Monday delayed school opening from Wednesday to Thursday. The two dates combined mean that the first week back after DCPS students returned from winter break is reduced from three to one day.
COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Sites
- The Columbia Heights Community Center (1480 Girard St NW) will serve as a walk-up vaccination site for individuals 5 and older from 3:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
- The nine DC Public Library Test Yourself Express rapid antigen test pickup sites will be from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- The 36 Test Yourself DC at-home PCR test kit pick up and drop-off sites will be open for pick up from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.; samples can be dropped off at all sites until 8:00 p.m.
- Walk-up PCR testing will be available at five sites tomorrow:
- Woody Ward Recreation Center at 5100 Southern Avenue SE from 12:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- Engine 4 at 2531 Sherman Avenue NW from 2:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
- Engine 11 at 3420 14th Street NW from 2:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
- Engine 24 at 5101 Georgia Avenue NW from 2:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
- Engine 31 at 4930 Connecticut Avenue NW from 2:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
Cold Weather Emergency Alert
The Cold Weather Emergency Alert is in effect. If you see someone outside in need of shelter or a welfare check, call the Shelter Hotline at 202-399-7093 or dial 311. If there is an immediate risk to safety call 911. Transportation to shelter is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.