Starting May 3, the DC Public Library will open more libraries and add Saturday hours at its open locations. On May 6, the new Southwest Library in Ward 6 will open.
The Deanwood and Southeast libraries will join the already open libraries to provide limited in-person services on May 3. The libraries will be open Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Southeast Library is slated to undergo modernization, but construction is not expected to begin until 2022.
During the District’s public health emergency, people are able to visit the library to:
- Pick up books that they have placed on hold.
- Apply for a library Card. Customers can apply for a library Card at an open branch and online via the Library’s website http://www.dclibrary.org.
- Use a computer. The Library has reduced the number of public computers to ensure six feet of social distancing. In addition, computer sessions are limited to 45-minute sessions to allow for cleaning and for more people to access the internet. While photocopying and scanning are not available, customers can send documents electronically for free printing.
- Borrow Grab and Go Materials. Curated book titles and bundles of books will be available for checkout near the circulation desk. Customers can ask for a specific item, and the staff member will retrieve it.
- Use the bathroom
- Browse the collection
- Sit and read,study or work at a table or lounge area
- Read magazines and newspapers
- Use meeting or study rooms
- Attend in-person programs or events
The following measures at libraries have been put in place to mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
- Face masks required for staff and public.
- Hand sanitizer available at each location for staff and public.
- Regulated entry and occupancy.
- Reconfigured branches to promote social distancing.
On April 5, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its cleaning guidelines, indicating that the risk of catching COVID-19 from a contaminated surface is low. In keeping with the new guidelines and in consultation with DC Health and agencies managing the city’s reopening, the Library will eliminate the 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. closure for additional cleaning effective Monday, May 3. Regular cleaning throughout the day will continue as well as additional cleaning in the event there is a COVID-19 positive case at a library location.
Learn more about DC Public Library limited reopening at www.dclibrary.org/reopen