The Capitol Hill Restoration Society (CHRS) will stage its annual Mother’s Day weekend event as a series of outdoor, guided, walking tours “Tour of Tours” on May 8 and 9.
Themes for the walking tours include “Hollywood on the Hill”, “The Resistance”, “Notable People”, “Our Industrial Past”, “Parks – Treasures of Capitol Hill”, “Community Evolution” near Logan School, and, for younger neighbors, “Whimsy of Capitol Hill” scavenger hunt.
- The Resistance (sites significant to civil rights for women, minorities and the LGBTQ+ community)
- Our Industrial Past (industrial and commercial sites, many of which have been repurposed)
- Parks – Treasures of Capitol Hill (the history of Marion and Garfield Parks and their surrounding neighborhood)
- Whimsy of Capitol Hill (search for amusing yard ornaments)
- Notable People of Capitol Hill (sites associated with many of the historically significant people who have made Capitol Hill their home)
- Community Evolution near Logan School (focusing on the neighborhood east of Union Station, a look at how the city and citizens turned once-unbuildable land into a welcoming neighborhood)
NEW: We’re also organizing an “Artists at Home” gallery, inviting local artists to display their work on their porches or in a front yard, or at Eastern High School on this self-guided tour. If you’d like to participate or would like additional information, please email [email protected].
To help maintain the safety of tour guides, attendees and others, the number of participants will be limited. Tickets are available through Eventbrite.