On Wednesday, Jan. 13, Metro announced service adjustments for Metrorail and Metrobus affecting stops and stations near and inside the security perimeter as well as Arlington Cemetery.
These will be in effect for Inauguration beginning Friday, Jan. 15 through Thursday, Jan. 21.
Metro will close 13 stations inside the security perimeter, with 11 stations closing on Friday and two additional stations on Saturday. Those closures will continue through the end of service on Thursday. During this time, trains will pass through the closed stations without stopping.
Beginning on Friday and continuing for six days, trains will operate on a Saturday schedule (every 12 minutes on the Red Line; 15 minutes on all other lines). Trains will not stop at closed stations, as residents are urged by local officials to stay out of the downtown area.
In addition, 26 bus routes will be detoured around the expanded security perimeter beginning on Friday through Thursday. Metrobus will operate normal service on weekdays and weekends to accommodate customers making trips outside the zone, with the exception of on Inauguration Day, Jan. 20th, when buses will operate on a Saturday schedule.
Friday, Jan. 15, through Thursday, Jan. 21
- Trains will operate on a Saturday schedule, every 12 minutes on the Red Line and every 15 minutes on all other lines.
- Stations closed:
- Red Line: Farragut North, Judiciary Square, Union Station
- Yellow Line/Green Line: Archives
- Blue Line: Arlington Cemetery
- Blue Line/Orange Line/Silver Line: Farragut West McPherson Square, Federal Center SW, Capitol South, Smithsonian, Federal Triangle
- Trains will pass through the stations without stopping.
Beginning Saturday, Jan. 16, through Thursday, Jan. 21:
- Metro Center and Gallery Place stations will close and trains will pass through the stations without stopping.
- Buses will operate on normal weekday and weekend schedules, except for Inauguration Day.
- Buses will operate on a Saturday schedule on Inauguration Day, January 20. Check timetables for schedule information.
- Customers traveling through downtown should allow additional travel time due to detours and road closures around the security perimeter.
Additional station closures and bus detours may be necessary on a temporary basis during this period for security reasons.
Online tools, including crowding information or real time arrivals, may not be available due to the continuously changing operational environment. Customers are encouraged to sign up for MetroAlerts for up-to-the-minute email or text message of service information.