Chair Amber Gove (6A04) convened the December 9, 2020 meeting of Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 6A via WebEx with Commissioners Marie-Claire Brown (6A01), Commissioners Phil Toomajian (6A02), Mike Soderman (6A03), Stephanie Zimny (6A06), Sondra Phillips-Gilbert (6A07) and Brian Alcorn (6A08) in attendance. Commissioner Ruth Ann Hudson (6A05) was absent.
Commissioners Reaffirm Commitment to Zero Tolerance for Racism
- The Commissioners unanimously approved a resolution to institute a policy of zero tolerance for racism or other human rights violations from any elected or appointed member of the ANC and outlining follow-up actions to include creation of an ad hoc committee for reviewing and recommending changes to ANC6A bylaws, required training, committee selection processes and communications procedures to ensure improved outreach to all ANC6A residents.
With unanimous support, Commissioners Marie-Claire Brown and Sondra Phillips-Gilbert spoke passionately in favor of this resolution citing a racially insensitive comment made during November’s ANC meeting by a committee member who has since voluntarily stepped down, as well as the public backlash ANC6A Commissioners received in response to a letter they sent in favor of Mayor Bowser’s proposed increased funding for the Metro Police Department over this past summer. During the lengthy discussion regarding this resolution, all present members of the ANC were reminded of their accountability as elected officials to the needs and expectations of the communities that elected them.
Committee Motions and Recommendations
Community Outreach Committee
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to present an ANC 6A Community Leader Award to Fernanda Zavaleta.
Over this past summer, Ms. Zavaleta offered assistance to a neighbor after they had been mugged. She brought them into her home, despite the current health crisis, kept them calm and helped them feel safe while the authorities responded to the incident.
The Community Outreach Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the fourth Monday of each month.
Alcohol Beverage Licensing Committee
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to take no action on the application by The Bodega Incorporated, t/a The Cupboard at 1504 East Capitol Street NE (ABRA #086607) for renewal of its Class B Retail License.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to take no action on the application by Bella Market LLC, t/a Economy Market at 1804 D Street NE (ABRA #094127) for renewal of its Class B Retail License.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to protest the application by H St Liquors LLC t/a H Street Beverage Warehouse at 1431-1433 H Street NE (ABRA #117278) for a Class A Retail License unless a signed settlement agreement is submitted before the protest deadline, and appoint the Chair of the ANC and Co-Chairs of the Alcohol Beverage Licensing Committee to represent the ANC in negotiating and signing the settlement agreement and in any protest matters.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to protest the application by Amazon Retail, LLC t/a TBD at 801 H Street NE (ABRA # 116873) for a Class B Retail License with Tasting Permit unless a signed settlement agreement is approved by the chair of the ANC by the protest deadline, and appoint the Chair and Vice-Chair of the ANC and Co-Chairs of the Alcohol Beverage Licensing Committee to represent the ANC in any protest.
The Alcohol and Beverage Licensing Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the third Tuesday of each month.
Transportation and Public Space Committee
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter to the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) in support of BZA 20323 (Maury Elementary School, 1250 Constitution Avenue), conditional upon DDOT’s consideration of the ANC request for ROP (Resident Only Parking) on the west side of 12th Place NE and RPP (Resident Permit Parking) from 6:00 pm – 7:00 am on the east side of 12th Place NE, and that there are 8 parking spaces involved.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter to the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) stating that ANC 6A reviewed and commented on Public Space Application #343819, 1518 North Carolina Avenue NE in March of 2020. As the application is unchanged, DDOT should refer to the letter of opposition already sent.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of support for #361713, fence on public space at 424 11th Street NE, conditional upon the fence atop the retaining wall being no higher than the current fence (36″) and of similar (open, iron) construction.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter to DDOT requesting an extension on the review date for Public Space Permit application #363655 (paving, landscaping, fixtures, projections at 920 F Street NE) until after the January 14, 2021 ANC meeting, to provide adequate time for public notice and review. The application was received on 12/3/2020 with a review due date of 12/24/2020.
The Transportation and Public Space Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the third Monday of each month.
Economic Development and Zoning Committee
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of support to the BZA for a special exception from the lot occupancy requirements to construct a two-story rear addition to an existing principal dwelling unit at 903 11th Street, NE (BZA Case #20365)in the RF-1 Zone.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of support to the BZA for special exceptions from the lot occupancy requirements from the accessory building rear yard setback requirements to construct a second-story addition to an existing accessory structure in the rear yard of an existing flat at 114 12th Street, NE (BZA Case #20340) in the RF-1 Zone.
- The Commissioners voted to table sending a letter of support to BZA for a special exception from the minimum vehicle parking requirements to convert an existing, detached, two-story, carriage house to a principal dwelling unit at 1608 East Capitol Street, NE (BZA Case #20393) in the RF-1 Zone, with the caveat that the applicant make best efforts to get letters of support form 1600, 1606, 1608, 1610 and 1612 East Capitol Street, NE, 1, 3, 5, and 7 16th Street NE, and the dwelling across the alley from 1608 East Capitol Street, NE.
The Economic Development and Zoning Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the third Wednesday of each month.
- The Commissioners voted to request removal of the Metro Bus Shelter located at 17th Street and Benning Road NE. The vote was 6 in favor, with Commissioner Toomajian abstaining.
Visit www.anc6a.org for a calendar of meeting times, meeting agendas and other information.