Chair Amber Gove (6A04) convened the November 12, 2020 meeting of Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 6A via WebEx with Commissioners Marie-Claire Brown (6A01), Commissioners Phil Toomajian (6A02), Mike Soderman (6A03), Stephanie Zimny (6A06), Sondra Phillips-Gilbert (6A07) and Brian Alcorn (6A08) in attendance. Ruth Ann Hudson (6A05) was absent.
Phelps Architecture, Construction and Engineering High School
Olatundun Teyibo, Director of Phelps Architecture. Construction and Engineering High School presented on how Phelps High School is serving students from every ward in DC as part of the National Academy Foundation, which is a movement to ensure young people are prepared for the future whether it be attending college or starting to work immediately after high school. Phelps has six pathways for students to follow; architecture, carpentry, electrical, HVAC, engineering and IT networking. The pathways at Phelps include lectures with guest speakers from each industry, on-site visits for students to see firsthand what working in their given field looks like as well as holding mock interviews, informational reviews, job shadowing and even paid internships and apprenticeships. This provides invaluable experiences for the students plus gives them face-to-face interactions with potential future employers and other members of their chosen field.
Committee Motions and Recommendations:
Community Outreach Committee
- The Commissioners approved a grant in the amount of $1,000 to the Ludlow Taylor Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) for the continual use of IXL for virtual education and $1000 for school supplies. The Commissioners tabled the motion to approve a grant in the amount of $1,000 to the Ludlow Taylor PTO for the continual use of City Year to support best educational practices in the classroom.
Transportation and Public Space Committee
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of conditional support to the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) for a fence in public parking at 205 15th Street NE [Public Space Application #358240], provided that it be placed on the line in the site drawing that the applicant provided to the ANC, that it not exceed four feet in height and that it be lattice (as specified in the application) or other open construction (at least 40% open).
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter to DDOT 6in opposition of the construction of a shed in public parking at 205 15th Street NE [Public Space Application #358240], as the use is incompatible with public parking. The vote was 5-0-2 with Commissioners Toomajian and Alcorn abstaining.
- The Commissioners voted to complete the public restroom pilot survey indicating a first choice of locations at 8th and H Street NE and a second choice being wherever along the H Street NE corridor would be suitable given pedestrian traffic and plumbing needs.
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter to DDOT in support of Traffic Safety Assessment Service Request for a red-light camera at the intersection of 9th and C Street NE.
- The Commissioners voted to request a postponement of DDOT Public Space application #343819, for paving driveway(s) at 1518 North Carolina Ave. NE. Due date is currently 12/3/2020, insufficient notice for a meaningful review.
Economic Development and Zoning Committee
- The Commissioners voted to submit comments to the full Zoning Commission making recommendations that facade preservation be included in any IZ FAR bonus, that the FAR bonus for IZ be subject to special exception relief, that guidance for FAR bonuses for PUD developments be included, and that the FAR bonus be capped at 2.0 for buildings under 85 feet.
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter of support to BZA for special exceptions under Subtitle E § 5201, from the lot occupancy requirements of Subtitle E § 304.1, and from the rear yard requirements of Subtitle E § 306.1, to construct a second story rear deck addition to an existing semi-detached principal dwelling unit at 722 19th Street, NE (BZA Case #20295) in the RF-1 Zone.
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter of support to BZA for a special exception under the off-site parking spaces requirements of Subtitle C § 701.8 (f), applied for by DC Department of General Services, to relocate 8 of the required parking spaces to the adjacent street to enlarge the outdoor play area at Maury Elementary School, 1250 Constitution Avenue, NE (BZA Case #20323) in the RF-1 Zone. The Economic Development and Zoning Committee recommends the ANC support the request on condition that the parking implications of this action be considered at the November 2020 Transportation and Public Space Committee meeting.
The Commissioners voted to:
- send a letter to DDOT in support of the Traffic Safety Assessment Questionnaire submitted by Mr. Burnett, including ANC6A support for the request for installation of speed humps on 18th Street NE, at Gales Place NE and Rosedale Street NE.
- approve the appointments of Andrew Burnett to the Transportation and Public Space Committee and Samuel Deluca to the Economic Development and Zoning Committee.
- approve the appointments of Daniel McPheeters and Kristin Garrity to the Economic Development and Zoning Committee.
- to send a letter to DCPS Chancellor Ferebee reflecting community concerns regarding the firing of School Without Walls Principal Trogisch.
- to send a letter supporting apartment style housing and additional funding to support the unhoused during hypothermia season and opposing the proposed increased capacity and 24/7 use of Recreation Centers to house more than 50 people during this hypothermia in light of the serious health concerns posed by mass gatherings during the pandemic.
Visit www.anc6a.org for a calendar of meeting times, meeting agendas and other information.