Chair Amber Gove (6A04) convened the October 8, 2020 meeting of Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 6A via WebEx with Commissioners Marie-Claire Brown (6A01), Mike Soderman (6A03), Ruth Ann Hudson (6A05), Sondra Phillips-Gilbert (6A07) and Brian Alcorn (6A08) in attendance. Commissioners Phil Toomajian (6A02) and Stephanie Zimny (6A06) were absent.
Streateries and Arts in the Right-of-Way Programs
Emma Blondin, a Transportation Planner for the District Department of Transportation’s (DDOT), shared an overview of DDOT’s plans and regulations for additional streateries and parklets around DC as well as introduced DDOT’s new Arts in the Right-of-Way Program, (AROW). Individual businesses can apply for a permit to set up a streetwalk café or a parklet provided the allowable space meets DC government health and safety guidelines. Community organizations are able to apply for streatery and alley extension permits; larger, shared areas of outdoor dining space. On a first-come first-serve basis, DDOT is also offering to install jersey barriers as a safety measure to enclose a parklet or streatery.
As part of the AROW program, DDOT has extended the option for businesses to paint or otherwise customize their barriers. The goal of the AROW program is to add more art to DC streets by permitting the beautification of traffic control boxes, micromobility corals, call boxes and possibly even murals painted on closed roadways. Guidelines, permit applications, stencils and some helpful tips for painting and layering stencils can all be found by visiting https://ddot.dc.gov/page/arts-right-way.
Committee Motions and Recommendations
Community Outreach Committee
- The Commissioners voted to send letters to Commander Morgan C. Kane, Metro Police Department (MPD) First District, and Commander William Fitzgerald, MPD Fifth District, to raise concerns about reports from constituents that MPD is not in compliance with current health and safety guidelines and other regulations pertaining to ensuring reasonable accommodations for all community members, including sign language interpretation.
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter to the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) inquiring how they plan to ensure access to recreation centers and facilities for the community going forward.
- The Commissioners approved the updated Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 6A Grant Request Application Form (revised 9/20) for posting on the ANC6A website.
- The Commissioners approved a grant in the amount of $3,000 to the Eliot-Hine (EHS) Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) for the establishment and operation of a community emergency relief pantry.
- The Commissioners approved the appointments of Sarah Bell and Marc Friend to the Community Outreach Committee (COC).
The Community Outreach Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the fourth Monday of each month.
Transportation and Public Space Committee
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter to the District Department of Transporation (DDOT) in support of NOI #20-79-PSD for the proposed Advisory Bike Lane Project on Tennessee Avenue NE to include the following comments and recommendations:
- Requesting raised crosswalks at the intersections of Tennessee Avenue NE with special attention to those at C Street, E Street and 14th Street NE, if determined to be feasible.
- Additional traffic calming measures on the 200 block of 13th Street NE, potentially including raised crosswalks and/or speed humps and a clear connection for the southbound bike route from the 200 block of Tennessee Ave NE.
- Additional traffic calming measures in the 200-500 blocks of Tennessee Ave NE, including speed humps if feasible.
- Installation of yield control and one way or do not enter signs at the intersection at south end of triangle park at north end of 100 block of Tennessee Ave NE.
- Installation of traffic calming measures, including speed humps, in the 100 block of 13th to prevent conflicts with the bike lane path.
- Minimize, to the extent possible, any loss in linear feet of parking other than sightline setbacks required to protect vulnerable users.
- Additional opportunity to review and comment for the intersection at 13th Street and Constitution Avenue NE.
The vote passed 5-0-1 with Commissioner Marie-Claire Brown abstaining.
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter to DDOT in support to the public space application 353808 (for a fence on public space that exceeds 42″ in height and is less than 50% open) at 1660 Gales Street NE conditional on the application resolving any potential issues with the property line to DDOT satisfaction and the Commissioners approving the design and related materials.
- The Commissioners voted to send a letter to DDOT requesting a postponement in the following matter due to insufficient notice and incomplete information. Public Space Permit application #358240 to install an 8×10 ft. garden shed on public space in a corner lot at 205 15th Street NE. Received 9/18/20; response due 10/9/20. Application drawing does not show placement of the shed. The motion passed 4-0-1 with Commissioner Sondra Phillips-Gilbert abstaining.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter to DDOT expressing objection to insufficient notice and the approval prior to the stated response date for Public Space Permit application #355976 at 618 14th Street NE. Received 9/18/20; response due 10/12/20; apparent approval date 9/21/20.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter to DDOT requesting a postponement in the following matter due to insufficient notice and incomplete information. DDOT PSRA Permit Tracking# 359474, Review# 685885, window wells at 331 15th Street NE. Received 10/02/2020; response due 10/28/2020.
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter to DDOT calling attention to a pattern of insufficient notice for consideration of public space applications.
The Transportation and Public Space Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the third Monday of each month.
Alcohol and Beverage Licensing Committee
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to take no action for the renewal application for Wen DeZhang & Yang You Feng, t/a China House, 1601 Benning Road NE (ABRA- 025169).
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to take no action for the renewal application for Mochi, Inc. t/a DC Supermarket, 539 8 Street NE (ABRA-074927).
The Alcohol and Beverage Licensing Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the third Tuesday of each month.
Economic Development and Zoning Committee
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of support to the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) for a special exception from the lot occupancy requirements to construct a one-story rear addition to an existing attached flat at 128 12th Street, NE (BZA Case #20310) .
- The Commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of support to the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) for the raze permit request to demolish a single-bay accessory garage at 1511 A Street, NE, a four-bay accessory garage at 1513 A Street, NE, and a six-bay accessory garage at 1515 A Street, NE, on the condition that the owner’s intent and plans conform to the plans previously provided and approved by the BZA, and on the condition that the raze permit only covers the accessory structures.
The Economic Development and Zoning Committee meets at 7:00 pm on the third Wednesday of each month.
Visit www.anc6a.org for a calendar of meeting times, meeting agendas and other information.