With Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) and health experts recommending at-home Fourth of July celebrations, businesses and parks are helping residents safely enjoy the holiday. Capitol Riverfront compiled a list of virtual or socially-distanced celebrations. Here’s how to celebrate the Fourth at Capitol Riverfront while following health guidelines:
- Canal Park (200 M Street SE) and Yards Park (355 Water Street SE) are open for gatherings. Residents should remain six feet apart, wear a mask and keep dogs on leashes.
- The paved Anacostia Riverwalk Trail is open for walkers, runners and bikers.
- VIDA Fitness is offering a free, virtual. yoga class at 9:00 a.m on Sunday, July 5. Sign up for the Zoom link.
- The Jarreau Williams Experience is performing on Facebook at 6:00 p.m. Friday, July 3, ending the Capitol Riverfront’s Friday Nights from Home Concert Series. The main event is a 7:00 p.m. performance by AZTEC SUN. Order carry-out from Bonchon, Ice Cream Jubilee (family packages only), Slipstream DC (pizza only) and Wiseguy Pizza between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., and say “FRIDAYCONCERT” when placing your order for a 10% food discount.
- @capitolriverfront’s IGTV channel offers viewers videos that profile local businesses while presenting how-to cooking clips and short workout classes.
- The Capitol Riverfront website maintains a list of local restaurants offering takeout and delivery, and a few offering outdoor dining.
Eva Herscowitz is a journalism student at Northwestern University currently interning with the Hill Rag. She writes for Northwestern’s student newspaper, The Daily Northwestern. You can reach her at email@example.com