The Fish Markets have re-opened at The Wharf (1100 Maine Ave. SW) as of Saturday, April 11, with new protocol and with National Guard members posted at the site to ensure social distancing.
Late Friday evening, the DC Government approved a Saturday morning reopening for the vendors at the Municipal Fish Market at The Wharf. The approval comes with additional physical distancing protocols, staffing, and protective equipment, representation from The Wharf noted.
Vendors were asking customers coming to the Fish Market shop alone and to leave vulnerable people, such as seniors or young children, at home. Vendors asked customers to call ahead to place orders, wear masks when shopping, and use social distancing.
Jessie Taylor Seafood announced on their Facebook Page that they had decided not to open this weekend, despite receiving permission, and would re-open April 14 after taking a few more days to make changes ‘for everybody’s protection.’
“Jessie Taylor Seafood will be taken [sic] a large financial loss this holiday weekend,” wrote the operator, “but with that in consideration we know money can be replaced but precious lives can not.”
Captain White Seafood announced that they would be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. as long as security is on site. The reopening was delayed Saturday as the awaited personnel. They request that customers call in orders, especially those wishing to have seafood cooked prior to pick-up. Call 202-554-5520 or 202-484-2722.
Clients of the Fish Market should follow the directives of staff, security, and signage on site. Surface parking is closed, so vustomers arriving by car must park in the underground garage, at a rate of $2 for the first hour, but validation is available with purchase from Municipal Fish Market.
Despite a heavy police presence near the Municipal Fish Market to ensure social distancing, The Wharf neighborhood and businesses remain open, including restaurants and food service offering pick-up and delivery.
The DC Government is updating the list of markets that have been granted waivers, although as of 11 a.m. Saturday, the Fish Market had not yet been included.
- Arcadia Mobile Market at Deanwood Recreation Center has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday between 10 am and noon.
- Chevy Chase Farmers Market at Lafayette Elementary School Courtyard has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday between 9 am and 1 pm
- Farmers Market SW at 425 M Street SW has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday between the hours of 9 am and 1 pm
- FRESHFARM Monroe Street Farmers Market at the Brookland Arts Walk has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday 9 am and 1 pm
- Maret Farmers Market at 3000 Cathedral St. NW has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday between 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- FRESHFARM H ST NE MARKET at 13 and H Streets NE has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday from 9 am to 12 pm
- Mt Pleasant Farmers Market at 17th St NW and Lamont St NW has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm
- FRESHFARM Columbia Heights Farmers Market has been granted a waiver to operate on Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm at 14th & Park St. NW
- FRESHFARM Dupont Circle Farmers Market at 1501 20th St NW has been granted a waiver to operate on Sunday from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- Palisades Farmers Market at 48th Place and MacArthur Boulevard NW has been granted a waiver to operate on Sunday between 9 am and 1 pm
Get more info on Fish Market waivers and rules for shopping by visitincog ronavirus.dc.gov/node.