Chair Amber Gove (6A04) called the Advisory Neighborhood (ANC) 6A meeting to order at Miner Elementary School, 601 15th St. NE, with Commissioners Brian Alcorn (6A08), Ruth Ann Hudson (6A05), Sondra Phillips-Gilbert (6A07), Marie Claire Brown (6A01), Phil Toomajian (6A02) and Stephanie Zimny (6A06) in attendance. Commissioner Mike Soderman (6A03) was absent.
Home and Car Burglaries on the Rise
First District (1D) Captain Pulliam of the Metro Police Department (MPD) strongly encouraged residents to make certain they lock and secure doors and windows, especially at night or when leaving their homes. Capitol Hill has been visited by a string of unlawful entries and burglaries in recent weeks. Though the police have obtained some low-quality images of the suspect courtesy of home security cameras, Captain Pulliam did not feel MPD has enough information to release a full description to the community. He did share, however, that the burglar is reported to peruse area alleyways in search of unsecured means of entry like unlocked doors or even second floor windows and has entered homes regardless of whether residents are present. The thief seems to be targeting small, easily concealable items such as wallets and cell phones. Similarly, the scourge of car break-ins has continued. Like with their homes, Captain Pulliam asked residents to make doubly sure they have locked car doors, as most thefts seem to be crimes of opportunity. Though the best deterrent in either instance is proper precaution, namely locking doors and windows, installing street facing security cameras can be helpful to police in identifying the perpetrators. The DC government offers a rebate program for the installation of such cameras on both private homes and businesses. Additional information about this rebate can be found by visiting ovsjg.dc.gov/service/private-security-camera-system-incentive-program. In response, MPD has increased foot and bike patrols through alleyways and is asking residents to report any suspicious activity.
DDOT and Washington Gas Work on Maryland Ave. NE
Both DDOT and Washington Gas have scheduled construction between 2nd and 14th Streets along Maryland Avenue NE. For Washington Gas, this work is a continuation of Projectpipes, a multi-year plan to replace aging pipes and infrastructure across DC. The Maryland Avenue NE portion of the Washington Gas pipe replacement program is well underway and is expected to continue until winter of 2020. More information can be found by visiting washingtongas.com or activitymaps.washingtongas.com. DDOT will be reducing the number of travel lanes on Maryland Avenue NE and adding bike lanes, raised pedestrian crosswalks, wheelchair ramps and more. DDOT’s share of construction will begin this summer with an estimated completion of summer, 2021. For updates and more details visit marylandavesafety.org.
Committee Recommendations and Motions
The Commissioners voted unanimously in favor of every committee recommendation or suggested motion that came before them. They are as follows:
Transportation and Public Space (TPS)
- ANC 6A will send a letter of support to DDOT for a proposed 4-way stop at the intersection of 10th and East Capitol Streets NE.
- ANC 6A will send a letter to DDOT requesting that all local/local intersections that are not already all-way stops should become all-way stops, except in cases where DDOT determines that it is infeasible.
- ANC 6A will send a letter to DDOT in opposition to the request for a curb-cut onto Wylie Street (associated with Kadida Development at 808 13th Street NE ) on the grounds that it converts a public benefit (two publicly available parking spaces) into a private amenity (single, privately owned parking space).
- ANC 6A will send a letter of support to DDOT for the proposed K Street NE “road diet” which includes the following modifications to traffic and/or parking requirements:
- Remove the existing morning peak hour parking restrictions on the north side of K Street NE between 2nd Street and 6th Street NE.
- Remove the existing afternoon peak hour parking restrictions on the south side of K Street NE between 2nd Street and 12th Street NE.
- Remove approximately 32 parking spaces from the south side of K Street NE between 2nd Street and 6th Street NE for installation of east and westbound bike lanes.
- Remove approximately four parking spaces from the north side of the 500 block of K Street NE to provide an eastbound left-turn lane.
- Remove approximately eight parking spaces from the south side of the 700 block of K Street NE and one parking space from the south side of K Street NE to provide an eastbound left-turn lane at 8th Street NE.
- Designate the parking on the north side of the 200 through 500 blocks of K Street NE to be restricted to two-hour parking between the hours of 7:00 am and 12:00 am from Monday through Sunday, with Zone 6 permit holders excepted.
- Designate the parking on the east and west sides of the 900 and 1000 blocks of 3rd Street, 4th Street, 5th Street, and 6th Street NE to be restricted to two-hour parking between the hours of 7:00 am and 12:00 am from Monday through Sunday, with Zone 6 permit holders excepted.
- ANC 6A will send a letter of support to DDOT in response to NOI 19-146- TOA for improving safety conditions at 13th Street, Tennessee Avenue/Constitution Avenue NE in response to ANC 6A’s request for traffic calming made in November 2015.
Alcohol Beverage Licensing (ABL)
- ANC 6A will take no action on the license renewals for Quara Ethiopian Fusion Restaurant, (818 H Street NE), DC Conscious Café (1413 H Street NE), Gallery O on H (1354 H Street NE), or Maketto (1351 H Street NE).
- ANC 6A will protest RedRocks (1348 H Street NE) request for an extension of entertainment hours unless RedRocks makes satisfactory efforts to comply with the terms of its existing settlement agreement, including terms regarding noise reduction and control.
- ANC 6A will protest 12 Twelve DC/Kyss Kyss (1210- 1212 H Street) request for a sidewalk cafe endorsement unless the chair of the ABL indicate that they have had a satisfactory discussion with representatives from Kyss Kyss.
- ANC6A will send a letter to DDOT requesting the north side of 1000 block of E Street NE be converted to residential parking.
Visit www.anc6a.org for calendar of events, changes of date/venue, agendas and other information.