The Southwest Library will close permanently on Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 5:30p.m. to allow for the construction of the new Southwest Library.
Construction of the new Southwest Library will begin in late June at 900 Wesley Pl. SW. The library is expected to be completed in 2020. The DC Public Library is working with Perkins+Will and Turner Construction as the design/build team for the new library which is fully funded at $18 million.
The new library will feature:
- Environmentally sustainable design with solar panels and a green roof
- More public space
- Lots of natural light
- A variety of seating options and spaces for reading
- Meeting room for 100+ people
- Three conference rooms for 12 – 20 people
- Four study rooms for 1- 4 people
- Separate areas for children, teens and adults
- Innovation Lab with 3-D printers
- An outdoor porch
The Southwest Interim Library (425 M St. SW) will open later this summer. In addition, the following services will start Jun 20:
- Mondays 10:30 a.m. – Story Time at Politics & Prose at The Wharf.
- Wednesdays 10:30 a.m. – Story Time at the blue pavilion adjacent to the Waterfront Metro Station.
The services that start June 20 will continue after the interim location opens.
After the interim library opens, the following services will be offered:
- Mondays 10:30 a.m. – Story Time at Politics and Prose at The Wharf.
- Mondays – Arty Afternoons at 425 M St. SW.
- Wednesdays 10:30 a.m. – Story Time location TBD.
- Wednesday evenings – Pajama Story Time at 425 M St. SW.
- Thursday Afternoons – Sit & Knit at 425 M St. SW.
- Monthly Coffee & Conversation at 425 M St. SW.
- Periodically – Tech and Job Seekers Help at 425 M St. SW.
The last day to place holds on items to pick up at Southwest Library will be Wednesday, May 22. Customers waiting for outstanding holds after June 1 will be able to pickup that item at the Northeast Library or may select a new location by logging into their Library account. The lending period for items checked out from Southwest Library that are due between May 25 and June 8 will be extended to June 12. The book drop will remain open until June 8 and items may be returned to any DC Public Library location.
The nearest library is the Southeast Library (403 7th St. SE). Holds will be routed there while the Southwest Library is closed.
The Southeast Library is slated to be renovated as well, with construction expected to begin sometime in 2021.