On Saturday, September 29, The Salt Line and Other Half Brewing Company will host Oyster Wars, an annual event showcasing the talents of some of the best chefs, breweries, and oyster farms along the eastern seaboard.
“Oyster Wars” recalls a time when oyster pirates roamed the Chesapeake Region, turning the humble local oyster into a delicacy revered by many. The annual fall celebration invites guests to the Capitol Riverfront for an afternoon of the finest seafood and brews from New England to Virginia.
The ticket price of $55 includes all you can eat oysters and tastings from chefs and oyster farms. Your ticket also offers an afternoon along the Anacostia River featuring live music from the reggae band See-I and DJ sets from DJ Stylus Chris with friends Harry Hotter.
A portion of ticket sales will be donated to the Anacostia Riverkeeper, an advocacy group working to protect and restore the Anacostia River, and the Oyster Recovery Partnership, which strives to create a self-sustaining oyster population through ecological restoration that expands economic opportunities in the Chesapeake and Coastal Bays.
Tickets are available online and are expected to sell out in advance. The restaurant is closed to the public while the event takes place, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, September 29.
Joining Chef Kyle Bailey, The Salt Line, at Oyster Wars this year are:
- Chef Jamie Bissonnette, Little Donkey, Toro & Coppa (Boston)
- Chef Jeremy Sewall, Row 34, Island Creek Oyster Bar (Boston)
- Chef Spike Gjerde, Woodberry Kitchen & A Rake’s Progress (Baltimore & Washington DC)
- Chef Mike Friedman, The Red Hen & All Purpose (Washington)
- Chef Eric Houseknecht, Thames Street Oyster House (Baltimore)
- Chefs Danny Lee & Scott Drewno, ChiKo (Washington DC)
- Chef Victor Albisu, Taco Bamba (Washington, DC)
- Pastry Chef Tiffany MacIsaac, Buttercream Bake Shop (Washington DC)
Oysters prepared by the chefs and offered raw on the half shell will come from eight different oyster farms:
- East Beach Blonde Oysters (Rhode Island)
- Glidden Point Oyster Farm (Maine)
- Harris Creek Oyster Co. (Maryland)
- Island Creek Oyster Farm (Massachusetts)
- Peconic Gold Oysters (New York)
- Sapidus Farms (Virginia)
- War Shore Oyster Co. (Virginia)
- Stone Oyster Co. (Virginia)
Co-hosted by Other Half Brewing Co. (Brooklyn, NY), Oyster Wars features a selection of breweries from along the Eastern seaboard and beyond.
Joining Other Half Brewing Co. are cash bars featuring unique brews by:
- Trillium Brewing Co. (Boston, MA)
- J. Wakefield Brewing (Miami, FL)
- Monkish Brewing Co. (Torrance, CA)
- Bissel Brothers Brewing Co. (Portland, ME)
- Allagash Brewing Co. (Portland, ME)
- Oxbow Brewing Co. (Portland, ME)
- The Veil Brewing Co. (Richmond, VA)
- Jester King Brewery (Austin, TX)
- DC Brau Brewing Co. (Washington, DC)
- 3 Stars Brewing Co. (Washington, DC)
Tickets are expected to sell out. Get yours online today!